BBC NEWS says:
An army group in Turkey says it has taken over the country, with soldiers at strategic points in Istanbul and jets flying low in the capital, Ankara.
A statement read on TV said a “peace council” now ran the country and there was a curfew and martial law.
But PM Binali Yildirim said the situation was largely under control and a no-fly zone was declared over Ankara.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he would overcome what he called an uprising by a minority.
In the last few minutes, Mr Erdogan’s plane has landed at Istanbul airport, government sources say.”
Drudge Report says the military has lost control, and that despite tanks in major cities and ongoing fighting, Erdogan looks likely to remain in power.
The New York Times says ”
• The Turkish armed forces issued a statement saying that it had seized full control of the country “to reinstate constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms.”
• Another statement read on state television said martial law had been imposed and a curfew declared.
• The prime minister, Binali Yildirim, initially said on Turkish television that a group within the military had tried to seize power but had failed; he gave few details.
• Later, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, speaking on an internet video feed, called on the public to resist the coup attempt by going to public places.”
The New York Times makes it sound like the coup might be failing.
The latest BBC article says “there were reports of explosions at parliament building in Ankara.
It is unclear who the plotting army group is or its level of support. Some top army officials are said to be detained.
People across Turkey are very confused and surprised, the BBC’s Katy Watson in Istanbul says.
In Washington, US President Barack Obama urged all parties in Turkey to support the “democratically elected government”.
- Of course, Obama would support the Islamist dictator who says democracy is like a streetcar, you ride it until you reach your destination
- Kudos to the Turkish Army for resisting a dictator with such extreme views that many have considered him a lead candidate for the Antichrist
- It seems like it’s still up in the air, we’ll know more tomorrow about whether Erdogan remains in power or if the Army succeeds in overthrowing him.